1. A white woman says something racist.
2. A black woman points it out. (It could be any person of colour but it works best against black women for reasons given below.)
3. The white woman says she is not racist and starts crying.
4. For added effect the white woman can run out of the room.
5. Other whites, particularly white men, come to the aid and comfort not of the wronged black woman but of the racist white woman!
6. The black woman, the wronged party, is made to seem like the mean one in the eyes of whites.
7. The white woman continues to believe she is not racist.
Tables turned! It works so well that it is hard not to see the tears as a cheap trick.
This is more than just a woman using tears to get her way. It is built on a set of White American ideas about race, listed here in no particular order:
It works best when these two stereotypes can be applied:
The Sapphire stereotype - black women as mean, angry and disagreeable
The Pure White Woman stereotype - white women as these special, delicate creatures who need to be protected at all costs. It is what drives the Missing White Woman Syndrome – and, in the old days, lynchings.
The r-word: to be called a “racist”, however gently and indirectly, is a terrible, upsetting thing for white people – far worse than, you know, being a racist.
White people and their feelings are the centre of the known universe.
Hearts of stone: meanwhile whites seem to have a very, very hard time putting themselves in the shoes of people of colour.
Moral blindness: white people think they are Basically Good, therefore if someone points out something bad about them it must be out of hatred.
White solidarity: whites are afraid to stand up against racism, particularly when they are with other whites. Also, they do not like it when you call other whites racists – they seem to take it personally for some reason.”
I watched this happen at a queer conference I was at where a white woman made a comment and used the word “lynched”, in front of a POC. When he confronted her (in a super polite way), instead of owning up to what had happened, she cried for a good 15 minutes while making it seem like it wasnt her fault for knowing that it would offend him…UGH
- darnyill likes this
- cynocin reblogged this from thisiswhiteculture
- delusions-of-wonder likes this
- abeautifultyrant reblogged this from geekbap
- my-fave-styles likes this
- kittiesandcuteittybitties reblogged this from blackfeminism
- blackandunapologetic likes this
- steponyouuu reblogged this from blackfemalescientist
- steponyouuu likes this
- thestereotypicalgirl likes this
- manicured-middle-finger reblogged this from blackfeminism
- hopeisreal42 reblogged this from blackfemalescientist
- markoftheenlightened reblogged this from blackfeminism
- imnotsherlocked reblogged this from blackfemalescientist
- kittykatfembot likes this
- naromichayenne reblogged this from blackfeminism
- blackfemalescientist reblogged this from blackfeminism
- pilgers reblogged this from blackfeminism
- oopsimracist reblogged this from blackfeminism
- blackfeminism reblogged this from artisansoulleader
- thequietgirl likes this
- olubumi likes this
- magicallintheair reblogged this from borednschooled
- michaelsbadpyt likes this
- borednschooled reblogged this from geekbap
- artisansoulleader reblogged this from geekbap
- browneyes88 likes this
- justtracey likes this
- abeautifultyrant likes this
- hgavin likes this
- bedbugsbiting likes this
- geekbap reblogged this from wretchedoftheearth
- fishgills likes this
- darlingchile likes this
- 28decembers reblogged this from aubbriee
- myhusbandisbingu reblogged this from aubbriee
- myhusbandisbingu likes this
- aubbriee reblogged this from pocketworthy
- esinahs reblogged this from k-lit
- esinahs likes this
- matesprit likes this
- beyonceunofficial reblogged this from foreignqueer
- w3lcome2kandi reblogged this from chocolatecakesandthickmilkshakes
- timemakesnomistakes likes this
- prettyythings likes this
- bienfaireetlaisserdire likes this
- alleyezonmickey likes this
- pumalove reblogged this from adreamdeferred
- gitanaluna likes this